We took over the contract for Worcestershire’s Promoting Independent Living Service on 1 April 2020, to deliver the home improvement agency for the six district councils in Worcestershire.
Our 22-strong team is based in our office is in Martley, seven miles outside of Worcester City Centre. The team includes customer service coordinators, technicians, caseworker/technical assistants, technical officers and an occupational therapist, providing the following services:
- Minor adaptations and handyperson service – work up to £1000 aimed at preventing falls at home by installing things such as rails, ramps, half steps and fixed toilet frames, to make it easier for our customers to move around their homes safely. We also provide miscellaneous items to help people stay independent for longer, such as key safes and lever taps.
- Major adaptations service – works over £1,000 that have been assessed by an occupational therapist or trusted assessor to help people live at home and to enable safe access to their bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.
- Essential repairs – such as roof, chimney, window renovations, heating and electrical rewiring works, where there is a healthy and safety risk to householders.
- Heating repairs – we assist customers with essential heating repairs for those with health conditions impacted by poor heating, using funds provided by the Foundations Independent Living Trust.
- Hospital discharge works – dedicated funding allows us to carry out works to customers’ homes, such as installing stairlifts and showers, or property deep cleaning or providing other household items, to facilitate fast track hospital discharge for customers, who would otherwise be prevented from being discharged to go home.
- Housing options – help to find alternative housing for customers who are unable to continue living in their current home, such as by navigating the choice based lettings systems for local housing associations, helping owner occupiers access services to arrange for sale of their home, helping to organise removal services or information about local care home and retirement housing.
- In house occupational therapist – working closely with the local community teams we provide occupational therapy services that can be accessed for ongoing cases by our team, private customers and those who have been waiting the longest time on the community team waiting list.
Kate Curran, Service Centre Manager at Worcester HIA said: “Joining Millbrook Healthcare Group in April 2021, during the Covid-19 pandemic, was an interesting time with lots of challenges, not least because we couldn’t carry out some of our jobs on site.
“However, over the past year, we’ve come together as a team to make a difference to people’s lives and we’re pleased that with lockdown restrictions easing, we can get back to all our jobs on site.”
Here is some of the feedback we’ve had from customers over the past year:
- So nice to have shower where I don’t need to climb over bath, downstairs toilet is the best thing that has happened to me.
- My life is so much easier now that I have my new appliances.
- We can now shower with no fear of hurting ourselves. The shower room is lovely- thank you all so much for your kindness, care, helpfulness & respect
- The changes made have made it much easier for my wife and I to deal with our problems and I would recommend you to anyone.
- Your contact is good news indeed, my medical condition following falls and hospital stays is worse than when we first met, I look forward to work starting.
- Your colleague showed complete empathy and understanding when resolving our problem and was extremely efficient and professional.