Your home is not simply the place where you live, it is your refuge from the outside world and you need to feel safe and secure for your own peace of mind.
Home safety and security
Please see below a few tips for keeping your home safe and secure.
- Never open the door to strangers.
- Fit a spy hole in the front so you can see who is at the door.
- Double check that all doors and windows are securely locked when leaving the house.
- Never keep large quantities of cash in the home and keep valuables out of sight.
- Don’t get into personal conversations with strangers on the phone or at the door.
- Fit an alarm and lighting to the exterior of your home.
- Consider fitting robust gates to the front and back of your property, where possible.
Visit our page on dealing with visitors.
We’ve provided a few tips on personal safety below; however, there is a wealth of information available online and we’ve listed some good websites where you can find more detailed information at the end of the blog.
- Make sure you have non-slip floor surfaces.
- Secure all floor coverings.
- Have furniture arranged to aid easy movement throughout the room.
- Keep floor space tidy.
- Keep stairs clear of clutter and ensure the handrail is secure.
- Consider fitting a stair lift, where possible.
- Keep electrical leads securely fastened and not trailing on the floor.
- Have grab rails fitted where needed.
- Use safety rails by the bath and toilet and use a non-slip bath mat in the tub.
- Leave a light on in the bathroom at night.
- Avoid standing on ladders or chairs.
- Use long-life light bulbs to avoid having to change them often.
- Wear proper fitting, low-heeled footwear.
- Always get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Wipe up any spills promptly.
- Fit smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and check them regularly.
- Make sure your gas appliances are serviced regularly.
- Keep areas around heaters and cookers clear of clutter.
- Avoid wearing long, loose clothing when cooking on the hob.
- Check plugs for wear and tear.